Monday 12 December 2011

Cornwall

The inhabitants of Britain who dwell about the headland of Belerium are unusually hospitable and have adopted a civilized manner of life because of their intercourse with foreign traders. It is they who work the tin, extracting it by an ingenious method. 

(Pytheas c300-380BC)












Another Cornish tradition is to the effect that Joseph of Arimathea came in a boat to Cornwall and bought the boy Jesus with him: and the latter taught him how to extract tin and purge it of the wolfram. When the tin is flashed, then the tinner shouts, "Joseph was in the trade".

(Baring Gould. Cornwall)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! Just finished reading your article in the latest issue of The Artist magazine, and am so happy that I stumbled across your blog. I love pen an ink, keep up the good work!
    Judith, Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Judith, I found you after reading your article in the latest issue of The Artist Magazine. It was refreshing to read about your love of pen and ink...I work in that media (I've had a couple of exhibitions, a few commissions but I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination) and I get fed up with people telling me that I should paint or use colour. There is nothing quite like putting a pen to crisp white paper and creating something.

    I adore your work (and have just spent a ridiculously long time looking at your blog!). Your Venice images are particularly beautiful (I love the one with the washing!) and brought back happy memories of my honeymoon.

    I shall be back

    Carol, Scotland

    ReplyDelete